Saturday, August 20, 2011

Vancouver, BC

I had a wonderful time in beautiful Vancouver for my CHE (Community Health Evangelism) Training.  BC is just as beautiful as everyone says, plus there is much more British culture than I expected! It was sort like travelling to Europe without having to leave the continent.  This was my training group - we had representatives from Canada, the States, Indonesia, Cambodia, South Korea and Wales.  It is always a blessing to learn and grow with others who share my heart for justice and international work.  I am very excited about the CHE model of community development and look forward to implementing the tools I learned in the not-too-distant future.  The model is centered on partnership, empowerment and sustainability in developing world communities.

This is the longest wooden tressel in the British Commonwealth, and was just recently built.  This was right down the road from our training, so we went to the opening ceremony.  We were a very international group, and some locals thought that we had travelled there because we were avid tressel lovers.  I never knew bridges could be such a big deal.  Sorry to disappoint, Vancouverites.

Our training was on Vancouver Island, so I had take a ferry from the city.  It was stunning! I couldn't believe that people sat below deck and missed the awesome view!  Some days you can see orca whales on this ride, but I didn't have that privelege.  Pictures don't do this scenery justice, you have to experience it in person.

It was great to see Keela,  my dear friend and former roommate in Kenya while I was in Vancouver.  We visited this fishing village with a modern art sculpture on the ocean front, and also took a cruise on Indian Arm, and hiked the Grouse Grind (it was tougher than I thought!).  It was a great week of learning, good friends and beautiful creation everywhere I looked.


No comments:

Post a Comment