Saturday, March 17, 2012

Visitors



I have had a busy few weeks, and amidst the flurry of visitors, transitions and exciting happenings back home (Baby Lucia Gloria Johnson was born to Matt and Elsa! What a joy to meet her via Skype!!) I continue to move forward with my French. One of my professors remarked several times that he thought I was making good progress.  It's important to hear that once in a while because language learning is NEVER finished.  I often still feel like a kid when I'm trying to communicate, but I have to remember where I started and I am thankful for how far I've come in a short time.

I said good-bye to another group of friends at the end of February.  Sandrine (right) from Madagascar was a presence of wisdom, patience and encouragement here, I will certainly miss her spirit.  Rosine is from Central African Republic and has invited me to stay with her when I travel through Bangui, the capital.  We will practically be neighbors when I am in Northwest Congo!


Be Therese and me.  Maybe I will have the opportunity to see her again someday in Madagascar...

 Cool building in Angers, Christine squinting in the sunlight.

Last week-end I had a great time with my CWM Regional Coordinators, John and Letha Kerl (left).  Willy and Maria (right), the directors of my language school, Mission-Langues invited us over for dinner.  It was fun to speak French with John and Letha that night.  I could understand almost everything that we talked about during dinner, that's progress! I realized I have difficulty expressing political and religious opinions in French.  Normally I don't speak so frankly about these topics in English, I'm a master sugar-coater.  But I don't have the vocabulary to sugar-coat in French.  I'm thinking this is probably a good thing. 


 It was great to talk with John and Letha and be reminded of the great support network I have at Covenant World Mission.  These are the people that will be helping me through all my transitions, my toughest days and my greatest joys in Congo.  It meant so much to share and pray with them.

1 comment:

  1. You look beautiful as always my dear! The picture of you and Therese is so cute! I want to meet your lovely friends!!

    ReplyDelete