Monday, June 27, 2011

VBS

Last week I had a great time volunteering as a "tribe leader" for Vacation Bible School at Winnetka Covenant.  Everyone did a great job of organizing a week filled with activities that were creative, educational and fun. I know the kids had a great time.  One of the girls in my group told her mom "I wish I could go to Bible School for infinity!" Oh my. 

Another exciting part of the week was that my ministry in Congo was the cause the VBS committee chose to raise funds for! I had an opportunity to share with the kids about clean water and nutritious food, and how much of a struggle it is for kids in DRC to have both on a regular basis.  It was amazing to see how the kids repsonded to that, and how many questions they had.  I spoke with one of the Sunday school teachers, and she is interested in having me skype with the kids sunday school classes while I am in Congo so they can continue to learn about the differences and similarities between their lives, and the lives of kids in DRC.  I am passionate about bridging knowledge gaps between cultures, so this is something I am really looking forward to.  Maybe someday these Winnetka kids will have the opportunity to meet the kids in Congo that they have heard so much about!

Some pics from the week (thank you Jess Carley!):

Tie Dying Pillowcases

Loom Weaving with Miss Joan - This is a cool idea for an income generating activity in Congo too!

Planting seeds at the farm


Making clay beads


The total amount of money raised through VBS was over $800! I feel humbled and blessed to have such a wonderful community of support.  It was very rewarding to share about my work and generate interest in this generation for transformational development and social justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment